Combining the best of both Worlds on one weekend!
The ARPCA will hold it’s Car Control Clinic on Saturday May 26 & Kick the Autocross season on Sunday May 27!
The Car Control Clinic
is a PERFECT opportunity to learn more about you and your car in a very safe environment. We will use the Vehicle Dynamic Area (VDA) at PIRC to provide a complete educational experience! The Car Control Clinic is hands-on, in-car training that consists of a classroom discussion of vehicle dynamics and human dynamics followed by four hours of in-car instruction in accident avoidance and defensive driving maneuvers. The Clinic can teach students what typical driving schools can’t: what do do when something goes wrong in the car – and provide the opportunity topractice these maneuvers in a safe environment.
will give you the opportunity to test yourself on what you’ve learned at the Car Control Clinic and help you to develop your own skill set, as well as learn the limits of your vehicle in a safe and controlled environment.
Car Control Clinic Overview – Saturday May 26
Drivers will use the VDA to learn and practice three key skills:
- Smooth steering on a Slalom course – Understand how to navigate your car smoothly through a set of cones.Recognize where you want your car to go. You will learn how to drive where the cones aren’t!
- Threshold Braking – Learn how to control your car in an emergency breaking situation. You will understand more about your car’s capabilities and how to manage them. Learn how to successfully maneuver around obstacles (just as if you have a deer in the headlights) while slowing your car.
- Skid-Pad Activities – Drive on a skid pad where you will have the opportunity to experience your car breaking traction and then learn how to regain traction in a safe environment. Feel the balance and learn how to steer your car with the throttle.
All licensed drivers are invited to participate. You will be paired with an experienced instructor who will be knowledgeable in driving your type of car. All types of vehicles are welcome! Bring your special vehicle or your daily driver. In addition to Porsches, we have Audis, BMWs, Mazdas, Minis, Subarus as well as mini-vans participate. All that is required is that you have valid state inspection.
Autocross Overview – Sunday May 27
Then, on Sunday May 27, put your new skills to good use and run through the cones with us in the ARPCA’s first Autocross event for 2012 at PIRC.
Autocross will give you the opportunity to test yourself on what you’ve learned at the Car Control Clinic and help you to develop your own skill set, as well as learn the limits of your vehicle in a safe and controlled environment.
Drivers will again use the VDA and run on the Autocross Course:
- All AX events are based around a course made of traffic cones and each lap timed for each driver. AX seldom exceeds speeds of 60 mph and has no “wheel to wheel” competition.
- AX is a great entry-level competitive driving event that requires little car prep, time or money. Beginners are welcome and there are no pre-requisites other than a vehicle in safe working condition.
- Before each event begins there is a guided Course Walk that takes you step by step through the driving line and explains how to navigate through the cones. This is especially helpful for first-timers and those that want a second perspective.
The PCA Autocross Information & Requirements:
- Allow for a licensed driver 16 or older to compete and participate
- Helmets which meet the Snell 2005 or newer rating are required
- That each car undergoes a technical inspection at the course.
- Access the PCA Autocross page
- Access the PCA Autocross Guidelines (PCA member log-in required).
- Access the ARPCA Autocross page
A bit Nervous? No worries. Our club excels in making sure your experience is safe and enjoyable. This is a great opportunity for new drivers!