The ARPCA is excited to announce another year of Autocross for 2014! The 2012 and 2013 seasons saw great participation, a lot of fun, and gave drivers the ability to learn about themselves and their cars in a safe environment. Season three will again offer the ability to learn more about yourself and your car but, will expand on those abilities with the addition of new programs:
- PVGP Autocross School hosted by the Steel Cities SCCA (Saturday July 12 OR Sunday July 13)
- Autocross and Taste Of The Track Event coinciding with our August DE at PittRace. (August 10 at PittRace)
The Autocross School and Taste Of The Track events are aimed to help drivers (from novice to pro) improve their autocross skill and to have a better understanding of vehicle dynamics; braking, acceleration, cornering, throttle management, and understanding the best line through a course. In addition to the Autocross skill set taught at the AX school, the Taste Of The Track Event will allow autocrossers to test their ability and apply those skills on the track (with an ARPCA DE Instructor) and experience what a Driver’s Education (DE) is about.
This season we will also participate in and along with several other cars clubs (North Hill Sports Car Club, BMW Club, Mini Club and Steel Cities SCCA) in the Wounded Warrior Project October 11-12, 2014 to raise money through an autocross for injured soldiers hurt in the line of duty. The Wounded Warrior Benefit Autocross is a two day event and entrants can participate either Saturday, October 11 or Sunday, October 12 or both days if so desired. The Wounded Warrior Project is a charity dedicated to providing tangible, practical support for our wounded military – Helping them to heal both physically and mentally. We are truly excited to be part of this event for 2014.
Remaining 2014 AX Season includes:
(CLICK EVENT TO REGISTER)
- Saturday and/or Sunday October 11-12 at PittRace – Wounded Warrior Benefit AX
- Saturday October 18 at Greensburg/JeanetteRegional Airport – FALL FEST
- Gates open 8am
- Open Course walk 8:15-9:30
- Registration begins 8-9:15
- Tech 8:30-9:30
- Guided course walk 9:30
- Drivers meeting 9:45
- First Car off 10:00
- Number of runs will be determined by number of participants – There will at least be 4 runs per driver in the AM and 4 in the PM session
- PCA Member: $30 per driver.
- Non-member: $40 per driver.
- On-site registration is $40.
Autocross School Tuition:
- Autocross School is $100. Students will participate in a one day (either Saturday July 12 or Sunday July 13) educational session on Autocross with an Instructor at PittRace. More details and registration info will be available and posted soon!
AX is a great entry-level competitive driving event that requires little car prep, time or money. Beginners are welcome and there are no pre-requisites other than a vehicle in safe working condition. Before each event begins there is a guided Course Walk that takes you step by step through the driving line and explains how to navigate through the cones. This is especially helpful for first-timers and those that want a second perspective.
Autocross courses are typically around a 1/2 to 1 mile in length and tend to place more emphasis on car handling and driver skill rather than on sheer horsepower. Autocross courses are set up using soft orange traffic pylons which will not damage your car. Events are run at speeds usually between 40-65 MPH, usually in 2nd gear. Autocross is a “performance driving event” and a safe way to learn how to drive your car at its limit. You not only learn how to handle your car at speeds that you drive daily, but you also:
- Gain confidence in your driving ability
- Learn the limits of your car’s brakes
- Learn correct seating, hand, and feet positions
- Learn the limits of your car’s tire adhesion
Finally, Autocross is a social gathering of new and old friends and LOTS OF FUN!
While the size of the field will determine the number of runs which occur last year we averaged 4 – 6 runs in both the morning and afternoon.